Getting married is one of the most important experiences in a person’s life. I congratulate you and wish you the very best in your life together.

To make the wedding logistics a little easier, we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions. Please let us know how we can make your special day more enjoyable.


Jackie R. Gonzales

Jackie R. Gonzales
Albany County Clerk

Is a marriage license required?

Yes, a marriage license must be obtained prior to getting married.

Where do we get a marriage license?

You may apply for a marriage license at the Albany County Clerk’s Office, located in Room 202 of the Courthouse at 525 East Grand Ave. in Laramie, WY. Office hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. You may expedite the process by filling out the Marriage License Information Form.

What is the cost of a marriage license?

The marriage license fee is $30.00 dollars. Accepted forms of payment are cash, personal checks and debit cards that include a Personal Identification Number (PIN).  (There is an additional $2 convenience fee for using a debit card.)

What are the residency requirements for Wyoming?

None. You do not have to be a previous or current resident of Wyoming to obtain a marriage license that is valid statewide.

Is there a waiting period from the application date to the date the license is issued?

No, you will receive your license immediately.

Is there a waiting period from the date the license is issued to the date I am allowed to marry?

No, you can marry immediately after receiving your license.

Are blood tests and physical exams required?

No blood test or physical exam is required in Wyoming.

What is the minimum age a man or woman may marry?

You must be 18 years old or older to marry without parental consent

What if one or both of us is younger than 18?

If either partner is under 18, parental consent forms must be signed and notarized. A Blank Affidavit of Parent’s Consent is available through this website and at the County Clerk’s Office.  The form may be notarized at our Office for a $5.00 fee.  Note:  Only one parent is required to give permission for the marriage.

Anyone under 16 years of age needs a court order before he or she can get married.

How long does a marriage license remain valid once it's been issued?

Your marriage license is good for one year.  If you do not get married within one year from the date issued, you will need to re-apply for another license.  You may, however, request a reprint of an unexpired license.

Do we have to get married in Albany County?

No. The license is good anywhere in Wyoming. It is not, however, valid outside of the State.

What information will the Clerk’s Office need when we apply for our license? 

CLICK HERE for a copy of the Marriage License Information Form. It lists all the information needed.

The Clerk’s Office will want to see a copy of your Driver’s License or other photo ID. In addition, we will ask for:

    • Your Social Security number, birth date and birthplace (State).
    • Your parents’ full names including both mothers’ maiden names.
    • The birthplaces (States) of both mothers and fathers.

What if one or both partners have been divorced or have had a spouse die?

If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse's death must be provided.

Are common law marriages legal

No, common-law marriages are not recognized in Wyoming.

Are same sex marriages legal?

Yes, same-sex marriages are allowed under Wyoming law.

Who performs marriage services in Albany County?

Any ordained minister may conduct a marriage service in Wyoming and their names and telephone numbers can be found in the yellow pages of a phone book under “Churches.” In addition, the following judges and justices may be available:


Hon. Robert Castor

Weekdays 9 a.m.-5 p.m. — Courthouse Only
Ceremonies at 12:00 Noon Only

Ronald Copenhaver

All Requests Welcome! Will Travel.

Judge Tori R.A. Kricken

By Appointment Only

Devon P. O’Connell

All Requests Welcome!

Robert Southard


Rev. Gary L. Wilken

307-760-2352 (Cell)

307-742-6385 (Home)

All Requests Welcome. 

Stacy Rostad

307-742-7140 (Work)

All Requests Welcome.

Will Travel. 

Robert Sanford

307-460-9977 (Office)

All Requests Welcome.

Will Travel. 


You will need to make your own arrangements for an officiant.

What do we do with the License after the wedding?

After the officiant (a minister or judge) has completed the License/ Certificate and the witnesses have signed it, the form must be returned to the County Clerk within 10 days after the ceremony. Please use black ink to complete the certificate, and because handwriting is difficult to read, we ask that you fill out the Wedding Witness Information Form and return it with the Certificate to the Clerk’s Office.

Return “License & Certificate of Marriage”—along with the Wedding Information Form to the County Clerk’s Office within 10 days of ceremony.

How can I get a Certified Copy of my Marriage License?

You may request a Certified Copy of your Marriage License from the Albany County Clerk by presenting the completed marriage license in person or by mailing it to the Clerk’s Office at the following address:

Albany County Courthouse
525 E. Grand Ave., Suite 202
Laramie, WY 82070

The cost is $5.25.  If requesting the Certified Copy by mail, please include the following information:

    • Groom’s Name
    • Bride’s Maiden Name
    • Date of Marriage
    • Book & Page Number, if known.

What's the process of legally changing my last name after marriage?

The Social Security Administration requires you to submit Form SS-5, “Application for a Social Security Card,” when you change your name. The form must be accompanied by a document that provides legal proof of your marriage, such as a Certified Copy of your Marriage License from the issuing agency. Please note, the SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of the document.

The Social Security Administration form is available on line at: or by contacting:

Social Security Administration
3001 E Pershing Blvd., Suite 140
Cheyenne, WY 82001

In addition to the legal document proving your marriage, SSA will also need a document  that proves your identity, bears your old name, and includes other identifying information or a recent photograph. The SSA will return your certified copy after they have processed your request.

Marriage License Information Form